Making a Leather Steampunk Mask




Step 1: Prepare the Pattern



Please download and print out the pattern that I uploaded here.

Pattern download :

(The PDF included a A4 and US letter size) 
IMPORTANT : Please set your printer 100% actual size option.
Then, cut out the pattern with some margin.


Step 2: Paste the Leather





Cut the leather to bond the two pieces together.
I used Intercom 1816B bond. (Non-toxic)
I applied bond on a larger piece and put two small pieces on it.
Then stick the pattern on the leather with a tape.

Step 3: Cut the Leather






Punch the holes first before cutting the outline.
I made holes 3mm and 2mm in diameter.
The size and the number of the holes can vary according to your choice.
Then, Cut along the outline of the pattern.


Step 4: Bevel the Edge



I smoothed the edges with a beveler.
(It's size #1 beveler from Palosanto)
and I made a stitching guide lines 4mm inward from the edge.

Step 5: Stitch to the Center





To match the number of holes on both sides. (To the center) 
I marked the stitching holes before chiseling.
and I made an identical number of holes on both sides like this. 
I used a 4mm diamond chisel.
Putting the two pieces with outer sides of the mask facing each other, and I sewed it.

Step 6: Turn It Inside Out




After sew it, turn it inside out for checking the shape.
I cut corner parts because they are where your nose and chin will be.

Step 7: Make a filter Pocket






I cut the inner layer.
As I did with the outer layer, I sewed the center first.
Then I cut the corners as well.

Step 8: Paste Filter Pocket Layer





I scratched the inner side of the outer layer, 
Then bonded the inner layer to the outer layer.
Make sure to fit the center and corners.


Step 9: Sew the Whole Side




I made stitching holes according to the holes on the outer layer.
After stitching, sanded the edges with a sandpaper. (400 grit)


Step 10: Burnish Edges






I finished the edges with water. Burnished with a wood slicker.
Rubbing the edges with a Microfiber cloth can make the smoother edges.

Step 11: Punch Strap Holes


I made holes along the marks with a small oval punch.

Step 12: Make Straps











After bond, cut them 10mm in width. (Length is self measurement)
I punched with 3mm diameter hole punch and stud buttonhole leather punch.
Make two straps as long as it fits your face.


Step 13: Insert filter




I recommend you to use clean cotton cloth or dust filter cloth.


Step 14: Done! 






Comments

  1. Thank you, I really like this to use with my filters you are fantastic don't quit doing what you do. We admire your work and your art helps the rest of us DIY people. Stay blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful!! Can't thank you enough for your comment!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    How does one places an order with your studio?
    Is there a phone number to your atelier?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dios te bendiga parcero, saludos cordiales desde Medellín Colombia, eres fantástico y todo un maestro en el arte del cuero, gracias por subir tus tutoriales y compartir tu experiencia y conocimientos... Mi Dios te otorgue siempre sabiduría y bendiciones. Att: FD Rolando Acevedo

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is its thickness of leather?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Спасибо! Актуальный аксессуар в наше непростое время! Буду шить!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Хотел бы попросить у вас автограф!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts